Monday, August 6, 2007

Green Tea Ice Cream

It is WAY too hot to cook. Amen, sister to not cooking and hallelujah to substituting ice cream as a summertime meal alternative. Well, maybe the last idea isn't the best no-heat cooking option, but hey, nothing helps beat the heat or fortify bones like ice cream.



My aunt gave me a Cuisinart ice cream maker a few years ago and when the weather approaches the unbearable, I pull it out. That time has arrived. With tomorrow's temperature predicted in the mid-90's, the Cuisinart is making its summer debut. Flavorful and creamy delights to ensue shortly. Since I started off the post advocating eating ice cream as a meal, I will try to counterbalance that suggestion with making a green tea flavored ice cream. After all, in eastern culture and more recently western culture, health experts have been extolling the virtues of green tea for ages. I even read somewhere that consuming green tea may help prevent tooth decay. Although I seriously doubt eating bowls of green tea ice cream would qualify. Let's call it a wash.

Ingredients:
2 cups of whole milk
2 1/2 cups of heavy cream
1/2 - 3/4 cup of sugar
2-3 tablespoons green tea powder*

Combine sugar, milk and heavy cream in a bowl. Blend well with mixer. Add green tea powder. Mix again. Make sure powder gets blended in sufficiently. It takes awhile. You may have to use a spoon and smash the little clumps of powder against the side of the bowl to ensure the powder gets mixed in enough.

Follow instructions for your ice cream maker. The Cuisinart simply requires that I put the mixture into the pre-frozen bowl, insert the mixing mechanism and top and hit the start button. Turn on and let mix for 30 minutes or until a thick consistency is reached. I usually let my ice cream mix for about 45 minutes. Remove ice cream from bowl and put in a freezer container. Let chill for a firmer consistency.

Variation: Add more green tea for a stronger flavor (and color). I've made this recipe a few times and on each occasion added different amounts of powder. I prefer a more pronounced flavor and found that 3-4 tbspns work nicely. I only used 2 tbspns this time since I was making it for someone who likes a hint of green tea. Substitute the green tea powder for vanilla bean or extract. This will make a wonderful vanilla base. To cut down on the fat content, I use 1 or 2 percent milk instead of whole milk and mix-match the quantities of milk and heavy cream. I've found that the more milk you put in, the longer you will need to blend the mixture.

*available in asian food markets.

No comments: